Aditu Mortuary Archaeology Field School 2017

Hola mi familia! (since you are the only ones who read this blog)
My plane to Amsterdam is just waiting on 4 pm

Since I am sitting here for many hours as I wait on my connecting flights, I figured this was as good of a time as any to start this summer's blog posts off. First I will explain what I am doing at field school this summer. This course is much shorter than the Ireland course I worked on last summer- I will be in Spain for the next three weeks (Aug 1-24). The area of Spain I will be in is part of the Basque region, one full of interesting and complex Roman and Medieval history holding strong on to traditions (even speaking Catalan, a language spoken nowhere else).  

This program is in osteoarchaeology/mortuary archaeology- meaning that we are going to  be excavating bone material. More specifically we are excavating the grave yard at a 9th-14th century Basque Sanctuary site in Uharte-Arakil. The primary goal is to gain understanding of the population of Navarre during the Medieval period. This will be done through studying the cultural practices through burial techniques as well as through studying their diet, health, and bioprofile (age, sex, stature).

Being bone focused this program is closely related to what I love to study and I can not wait to test and use my UT forensics anthropology education to help with this historical case! Hopefully I will be able to figure out if this is the path I want to take with my life so I can begin applying for graduate programs soon.

I will have limited Internet access so if you have any questions or just want to get in touch send me a message through Facebook or comment on the posts and I will get back to you as soon as possible!


~Erin

Comments

  1. We're looking forward to reading your blog. Such an interesting project! Enjoy and be safe! We love you. Grandpa & Grandma.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts